Teacher Profile: Leah Heath

Ms. Leah Heath is the college prep Chemistry I teacher for the tenth grade. She grew up local, here in Jackson, MS, and attended Murrah High School.

Ms. Heath explained that her favorite classes in high school were chemistry (shocker) and English. Her most influential figure that inspired her to pursue a career in the chemistry field was her high school chemistry teacher.

Before she came to Jackson Prep, Ms. Heath worked as a forensic analyst for the state. She said that she enjoyed the work, but after twenty years she was tired of the constant flow of case after case. So, she chose to start teaching what she enjoyed.

Her favorite thing about teaching at Jackson Prep was “the community.” A couple of her hobbies include knitting and reading. Her favorite book is Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.

Ms. Heath encourages not only her own, but every student to go into class with questions. She also says that reading the book before hand will help students have a better understanding of the material. Also as a word of advice for young women interested in a career in any S.T.E.M. (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) field, she stresses to go for it, give your all to whatever you are interested in and have fun.