Double the Queens, Double the Fun

From Issue 3

Homecoming was a huge success this year. It took place on Friday, October 9. The theme of this year’s dance, voted on by student council, was Old Hollywood. At the beginning of the week, student council members decorated the halls of the Senior High to get students in the spirit of Homecoming. There were festivities that lasted all week including ice cream, popcorn, and sweet tea served, along with karaoke and a movie on Patriot Avenue. On Thursday, students were allowed to dress as their favorite Hollywood character. Students were also allowed to wear their homecoming t-shirts with jeans on Friday. The pep rally on Friday introduced the homecoming maids escorted by friends. The sophomore maids were Macey Abraham and Maddy Mazzaferro. The junior maids were Ann Clardy Byrd, Anne Rivers Mounger, and Anna Kate Williams. The senior maids were Mallory Abraham, Haley Litchliter, Amber Mabry, and Martha Rayner. The maids were elected by their peers. When the seniors on the court were announced, they threw candy, toys, and even pickles into the crowd to get students excited.

That night, our football team dominated against Parklane. During halftime, the members of the court were escorted down the field by their fathers and grandfathers. They were accompanied on the field by the Pacers and the band. When it was time to announce Homecoming Queen, everyone was surprised, yet excited, to hear that for the first time in Prep’s history there was an exact tie in the votes. Mallory Abraham and Amber Mabry were both crowned by last year’s queen, Millie Waller. Millie was accompanied by Patriot Man, Lawson Marchetti, and the crown bearers, Abby Duncan and Taylor Caton. The new queens smiled for pictures in their crowns, then led the court off the field.

After the game it was finally time for the dance. Patriot Avenue was beautifully decorated with lights, tables of food, and a band. This year’s band was the Patrick Harkins Band. They played lots of good dancing songs and even allowed junior, Lawson Marchetti, to share the stage with them for one song. At the dance, students enjoyed taking pictures, spending time with friends, singing along and dancing. Student Body President in charge of Homecoming, Brooke Womack, said, “I think homecoming went really well this year.  We had a lot of people come to the dance and got great feedback about the band!”

IMG_1607IMG_3626IMG_1606