Year-End Wrap-Up: NHS, NJHS

From Issue 7

National Honor Society (NHS) is a premier organization established to recognize high school students throughout the nation. Students must demonstrate excellence in areas of scholarships, leadership, service, and character. To become a member of the NHS, one must achieve an overall average of 93, attend the meetings, and received 17 hours of community service over the span of 3 years.NHS-LOGO-TM

Jackson Prep has 153 members ranging from 10th grade to 12th grade and almost 50 members per class that take part in this organization. Each year, the group takes a trip to Boston, Chicago, or San Francisco to reward the students’ hard work. The NHS trip rotates each year, and they traveled to San Francisco in April.

NJHS-logo-vectorNational Junior Honor Society (NJHS) is organization that recognizes junior high students with a 93 overall average. NJHS students also have to demonstrate the qualities of scholarship, leadership, service, character, and citizenship.101 Jackson Prep junior high students participate in this organization. To maintain membership, each member must maintain their 93 overall average, be apart of the group projects, and attend the meetings.

Throughout the 2014-2015 school year, NJHS partnered with the Mississippi Diabetes Foundation to help make diabetes kits for local schools in December. In their second project, the members collected dog and cat food supplies for Community Rescue Animal and Adoption (CARA). The group raised close to $3000 dollars in donations for CARA.