A Prep family feels blessed, even after house fire

From Issue 5

The Malones' house following early morning fire.

The Malones' house following early morning fire.

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






On January 12th, 2017 at around 5:25 in the Wendover neighborhood in Ridgeland, MS, a fire started in home of Prep students Dylan and Adam Malone. This fire started because their refrigerator, that was located in the garage, was plugged into a surge protector, which overheated and caught some material on fire. This spread to the vehicles and wooden cabinets that were also located in the garage.

The fire department thankfully, came soon enough to keep from the entire house burning down. They were able to recover a great deal of furniture in the house and a few silverware items and some random miscellaneous items. Everything else, including the rest of the house, is unrecoverable from the smoke and plastics chemicals exposed to which they were exposed. The attic, located above the garage, had around 60 plastic containers filled with childhood keepsakes from his parents, which is where the chemicals came from.

The family is now staying in a rental in the back of their neighborhood and plan to live there for about 8 months while the house is being rebuilt.

Help from the school community was quick to follow. Head of School Dr. Jason Walton sent out an email to the entire Prep family about an account set up by First Baptist Church of Jackson under the care of Mr. Bobby Ray. This account is providing financial support to the Malone family.

I feel so blessed that people have decided to take time and resources away from themselves in order to care for mine.”

— Dylan Malone

Dylan Malone, a junior, said, “I feel so blessed that people have decided to take time and resources away from themselves in order to care for mine.”

The family has said that prayer is the main thing that can help them now as they deal with the insurance companies and try to recover their belongings.