Students Attend Iceland Summit

“Iceland needs to be on everyone’s bucket list.”

Recently a handful Prep Patriots took went on an Icelandic adventure as part of a Global Leadership Institute expedition, where they got to visit and experience many of natural and biological beauties of Iceland’s marvelous landscape.

Students were chaperoned by Ms. Norma Cox  on a 10-day trip to Iceland during this trip they went on many adventures like whale watching and hiking the mighty Langjökul Glacier, which is the second largest in Iceland.

Students also experienced seeing the Northern Lights, visiting geothermal energy plants and snow sledding down some of Iceland’s icy slopes. Culminating this trip, the students were able to attend a Global Leadership Summit concerning the problem of clean renewable energy for the world. They also had the chance to listen to the President of Iceland, and heard 1997 Nobel Prize winner in physics and former secretary of energy for the United States Steven Chu speak on current and future alternative energies and what the students could do to help and lead in these efforts.

But it wasn’t all fun and games the average temperature in Iceland when they were there was mid to low 30s with 30-40 mile per hour winds throughout the day. Ms. Cox would definitely encourage students to go on next year’s GLI which will be having a summit in Italy covering the future of world food.

The Northern Lights. Photo courtesy of Ms. Norma Cox.
Peaks and the Arctic Ocean. Photo courtesy of Ms. Norma Cox.
The Arctic waters. Photo courtesy of Ms. Norma Cox.
Inside an ice cave. Photo courtesy of Ms. Norma Cox.
Iceland scenery. Photo courtesy of Ms. Norma Cox.
The Prep group bundled against the cold in the Arctic Ocean. Photo courtesy of Ms. Norma Cox.
Enjoying the Icelandic scenery, L-R (Savannah Hunter, Kendall Clarke, Peter Michael Daschbach, Lindsey Howard, Graham Roberson, Lily Garretson, and Sloane Freeman. Photo courtesy of Ms. Norma Cox.