Young Life: “You Were Made For This”

From Issue 7

Young Life is a Christian ministry that is encouraged and talked about often at Jackson Prep. It is offered to high school students. “Club” is often advertised all over the school on flyers and by word of mouth. Club takes place at Trinity Presbyterian Church on Old Canton Road on Monday nights at 7:37. Club is unlike anything you have ever experienced before. It is an energetic hour started out with ice-breaker games, loud singing, followed by worship. Club often has a theme such as glow in the dark, jerseys, and at the end of the year everyone’s favorite: Color War.

Girls and boys from each grade of students from each school are divided into small groups and paired with a Young Life leader that encourages and mentors them throughout their highschool years. Almost every morning you can find a Young Life leader and their group at Primos eating breakfast.

Each summer, Elizabeth Nenon, the Associate Regional Director for the ArkLaMiss Region of Young Life, and Carter Hood, the Associate Area Director for Jackson Private Schools and Capernaum Area, organize camps for Young Life members to attend.

This summer, rising juniors are attending Frontier Ranch in Buena Vista, Colorado and rising seniors are attending Capernaum in Williams, Arizona. Capernaum is a Young Life Camp designed for special needs campers and students from Prep are always excited to be buddies for the week. Frontier Ranch is a week long camp that juniors anxiously await all year long. Jackson area private schools: Jackson Prep, Jackson Academy, and MRA all travel together to camp. It fills up usually days after the location is announced at Club. Often known as “the best week of your life”, attending a Young Life camp is filled with fun activities such as ropes courses to rock climbing, as well as night time activities, worship, a camp version of Club, great food, and new friends.

Many Young Life members apply for work crew during the summer. Work crew is offered to high school students and summer staff is offered to college students. Work crew and summer staff are necessary for the success of camps. They are responsible for serving, running activities, cleaning, and This summer Jackson Prep has two juniors Paul Andress and Tate Fowler, and one senior Brooke Womack who are serving on work crew. Paul and Tate will serve at Sharptop Cove in Jasper, Georgia and Brooke Womack at Castaway Club in Detroit Lakes, Minnesota.

Young Life is a great way to grow in your faith and friendships and is a excellent activity for Jackson Prep students to get involved in. To keep up with what is going on with Young Life, follow their instagrams: @younglife or @younglifejaprep